At the center of the village is the Basilica of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary founded by the Franciscans in 1218 when San Francescowas still alive. It became the first basilica of Gallura in 1228 and Pope Honorius IIIbuilt a 'Holy Door'. The Holy Door is opened by the bishop every seven years, and is kept open for 12 months. The interior has three naves and the typical frescoes: the Baptism of Jesus, Saint Nicholas and Saint Trano. In the third chapel on the left is a statue of Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows) and the fourth a typical crucifix and a statue of Sant'Antonio Abate.
Share on Social Media